Monday, October 19, 2009

Channeling the Spirits of Spontaneity

So last year as a lot of you may know I finished NaNo for the first time, thanks to the crazy dares and challenges that I agreed to do if I didn't. Last year was loads of fun, but it lacked something that I always hear other Wrimos talking about: spontaneity.

Everyone is always excited, confused and sometimes downright furious at the things that their characters decide to do. They decide that they need different careers. They decide that the villain is actually a pretty nice guy and take him out to lunch. They decide to die. They say and do all of these wonderful off the cuff things, only barely under their writer's control. My characters did not.

I had an outline of scenes which I had jotted down on the day I came up with my silly little concept: of a girl haunted by the ghost of a black Labrador retriever until she fell in love with his former master. Oh Stirfry (the dog) was fantastic to write about! He did all sorts of fun things... but my actually living characters? They went from point A to point B and really didn't develop much at all. They just followed the outline. That's becuase the only real CHARACTER that I had was the dog. The rest were just sort of there so that I could write more about the dog. One very fun side character made a few brief appearances (Psychic Selma, of Psychic Selma’s Tarot Card Reading, Palmistry, Phrenology and Exotic Pet Emporium) but for the most part my novel just diligently (and boringly) followed it's little outline.

This year, I refuse to outline. Downright refuse. But, this year I have characters! Real people with wants and needs and problems and dreams who also just so happen to have really ridiculous watered down super powers. Some hide their powers in fear. Some use them constantly in the hope that somebody, anybody will notice - though no one does. Some powers are useful (if only slightly) while other are huge annoyances.

I have a man who can control flies, a girl who conjures tomatoes out of thin air when angry, a man who channels his weak telekinetic powers into the form of an imaginary, invisible squirrel, a man who can see through cardboard (but only if it's thin enough) and a man from a long defunct government agency who knows all of their genealogies back to the original six super heroes. I know when they discovered their powers. I know how they feel about them. I think I even know what makes a couple of them tick. I know that two will meet, learn of each others powers, set out to find more people like themselves, and perhaps fall in love. I also know that their powers aren't quite as useless as they think they are...

I don't know the rest. I don't want to. I'm hoping that in time, they will tell me.

8 comments:

Meg said...

I hope that works for you. Spontaneity is part of the fun. When I did NaNo for the first time in '07, I dropped an elevator from like the eighth floor, and the love interest I was trying to kill off stepped out of the elevator perfectly fine. I decided after that that she might as well just live.

Good luck getting your characters to act on their own. I can't wait to hear if they take their lives in their own hands and tell you to stop thinking and just write down what they're doing.

Meg
Leviathan (NaNoWriMo)
meg1742 (LJ)

Anonymous said...

לבילוי עם נערות ליווי יש הרבה מאוד יתרונות, מה שהופך אותו לטרנד הבילוי החדש של הגברים בישראל. זהו בילוי אשר יכול להתאים לגברים אשר סובלים מחוסר ניסיון עם נשים. אל תזלזלו בחוסר ניסיון, זה יכול לפגוע בביטחון העצמי ולהקשות על גברים ליצור קשר עם בנות המין השני. אך לא רק גברים חסרי ניסיון, גם גברים אשר רוצים איזה בילוי ספונטני מעכשיו לעכשיו יכולים ליהנות מבילוי עם נערת ליווי. יתרון נוסף של הנערות הוא שהן מספקות מפלט חם ומרגיע עבור גברים נשואים שלא מקבלים בבית את מה שהם צריכים. כאשר הנישואין הופכים להיות מערכת של חובות ולחצים צריך לצאת ולהשתחרר קצת.
קוקסינליות
[url=https://israelnightclub.com/apartments/קוקסינליות/]קוקסינליות[/url]

Anonymous said...

רק אצלינו בנות הכי חמות בישראל כנסו עכשיו לאתר רומנטיק 69
[url=https://www.israelxclub.co.il/נערות-ליווי-בתל-אביב/]נערות ליווי בתל אביב[/url]
נערות ליווי במרכז

Anonymous said...

יש דברים שרופא חייב לבדוק - כמו איך המטופלת מגיבה כשהוא מזיין אותה חזק בחדר הטיפולים

Anonymous said...

This 50-hour intensive is designed for anyone who wishes to deepen their understanding of Ayurveda, and easily improve eating, Yoga and self care routines in a targeted way. Yogrishi, Dr. Gayatri Kalia (PhD and MD Ayurveda) and Yog Sundari will provide you with a range of yogic tools – both on and off the mat – to support your journey towards a healthy immune system, balanced mood and improved emotional wellbeing. You’ll even get hands-on in the kitchen and find ways to cook for you and your loved ones’ Doshas with ease! Diversity in Yoga is important to us, and we want to make this programs truly accessible to you if cost is a barrier to your presence. Please ask us about our Scholarships. https://akhandayoga.com/ This 50-hour intensive is designed for anyone who wishes to deepen their understanding of Ayurveda, and easily improve eating, Yoga and self care routines in a targeted way. Yogrishi, Dr. Gayatri Kalia (PhD and MD Ayurveda) and Yog Sundari will provide you with a range of yogic tools – both on and off the mat – to support your journey towards a healthy immune system, balanced mood and improved emotional wellbeing. You’ll even get hands-on in the kitchen and find ways to cook for you and your loved ones’ Doshas with ease! Diversity in Yoga is important to us, and we want to make this programs truly accessible to you if cost is a barrier to your presence. Please ask us about our Scholarships.

Anonymous said...

http://josuekuhn15680.ttblogs.com/4169049/
продвижение сайтов в топ-10


@kkk

Anonymous said...

https://yandex.ru/?77 Яндекс поисковая сеть

Anonymous said...

http://marcoazwq89900.blue-blogs.com/4318856/
СОЗДАНИЕ СЕТКИ PBN


@kkk