Saturday, October 15, 2005

Like a NaNo Virgin

Plot? Characters? IDEAS? Huh???

So I have a few ideas whispering faintly to me, a scene or setting or two, a vague theme, but otherwise nothing. Not that I'm too worried about it: when approaching short stories or CD/live reviews, I often find myself starting out with a blank screen and churning out 2,000 words on deadline (and that deadline is the whole point of this thing, yes? Yes!). I don't question that I can do that nightly for 30 nights.

But there's got to be a better way to flush out ideas so that I'm a bit more ready, right?

I'm working through No Plot, No Problem! and it's helping, but no epiphanies yet. How are my fellow Mainahs going into this thing? Any methodologies that work better for you than others?

Thanks. Nano profile is here, reglar blog is here, pics are here. Nice to meet ya.

2 comments:

Ken said...

Do you have characters, or a character in mind?

If so then talk to them, write letters to you from them (just did this one and it helped a lot), go have coffee with them.

I'm more of a find a character and go from there person. Don't thin I've ever done it the other way.

Hope I helped, but doubt I did, sorry.

Ken

b-dub said...

I'm happy to say that while jotting down thoughts on settings on Saturday, the whole thing hit me at once. The right "What If" question presented itself, and I'm off! Setting, character, plotlines...It's all coming gelling. Now I just have to wait another two weeks to start. Groan...

And thanks for helping. Sometimes the thought of helping helps a lot. ;)